Tuesday, November 27, 2007

From Annapolis to Tehran

I haven't commented on the Annapolis love-fest so here are a few quick observations: I wish the conference success, I really do. I don't join those who are out to discredit all efforts at reconciliation in advance. On the other hand, I don't believe for a moment that the conference will lead to any kind of real or lasting peace, but it seems that unlike some others on my side of the spectrum, I genuinely hope I'm proven wrong and by some miracle a path to lasting peace and security is found. Meanwhile, as the delegates at Annapolis dialog, I find it hard to ignore more down-to-earth headlines over the past 24 hours, like these:
Iran builds new longer-range missile
Iran to host militants for 'alternative' Mideast conference
Iran to launch offensive submarine
Iran announces plans for major gulf naval exercise
Iran: "Israel will not survive"

2 comments:

  1. You can add this headline too...
    "IRGC chief warns of Iranian "tsunami" - the story is on my blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am not sanguine about a solution to the Palestinian problem (and it is their problem). As harsh as it may sound I don't think they have suffered enough to commit to real change and a new way forward.
    With the way the current generation has been inculcated to viscerally hate Israel and resistance to any reform by the corrupt in power at present, I see little likelihood that anything of substance will occur during these meetings.
    I too am hopeful, but alas the Middle East has disappointed me too many times.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean. Comments do not reflect the opinion of this blog and are the sole opinion of the commenter. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason. Of course, opposing views are welcomed.

Auto-flagged and monitored IP addresses:
Teksavvy - IP 76.10.141, Onterio, Canada.
Charter Communications - IP 68.188.68. Ballwin, Missouri